View Single Post
Old January 21, 2019, 12:03 PM   #62
reinert

Hey Vicki, welcome to TFL. I've always favored my Remington 30-06's, too. The 30-06 Springfield round should always be around as long as there's shooters and hunters; a venerable tried and true caliber (IMO).

Hey RC20, this has been a good little confab about the M1917-P-17, Ol' '17 Enfield and whatever else it's been called through the years beginning with that Brit Pattern-13, and who made them, and where they were made. I've used the article I mentioned earlier as a reference guide for me since I printed it off many years ago. I thought it was quite thorough, and was about all I cared to know about my old Eddystone.

The Eddystone/Baldwin Locomotive Works/Remington of Delaware Co. and then, the Midvale Steel and Ordnance Company (which company I'd never heard of before), is truly an amazing story. It turns out that my Eddystone, M1917, which I found was mfg'd in August of 1918, would have been made by the Midvale Steel and Ordnance Co. during their time producing the M1917. I found this article below (just yesterday) that was written in August of 2018 (a hundred years to the month and year of my rifle's existence) and thought it quite good; an update to what I had for reference. The article was written with much reference to the Remington Society's write-up entitled, "The Story of Eddystone." The intricacies of the whole story of arming the Brits, and us, "U.S.," with rifles for the "Great War," involves J.P. Morgan and also Col. John T. Thompson (sub-machine inventor) who resigned from the U.S. Army to oversee construction of the Remington facility in Eddystone, and then remained in management as Works Supervisor there until he re-entered the service. (from the Remington Society's, "The Story of Eddystone.")

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/201...h-baldwin.html

At the end of the article I've given here above, you can click on the refence to the Remington Society for "The Story of Eddystone," if you want more info on the M1917.

So, RC20, the article I referenced earlier by Mr. Culver never mentioned the Midvale Steel and Ordnance Co., nor did Julian Hatcher in his classic Notebook on the "Brief History of the Enfield, U.S. Rifle Caliber .30, Model of 1917 (Hatcher's Notebook, P-12). So much went on at the Eddystone facility; rather staggering, really (IMO).

I guess then, my Eddystone was made during the time of Midvale Steel's run of the M1917, but on the equipment that Remington of Delaware set up, at the Baldwin Locomotive Works being under the supervision of John Thompson himself at the time when all this started under the satellite company of Remington of Delaware (at least that's how I understand it!). So right or wrong, I'm sure I'll still think of my "centenarian" Eddystone as a Remmy...Ha!

And to the OP, if I was personally going to change to a different caliber besides the '06, I'd still opt for the .280 Remington.

And a parting shot here on the M1917:

"Purists will tell you that calling the M1917 Rifle an Enfield or a P-17 is patently wrong, but common usage and habits die hard. Although we like to think of our armed forces meeting the Bosche using our tried and true "Ought Three Springfields," the truth is somewhat different. While our "official" service rifle remained the M1903, usage data from the era will tell you that approximately 2/3rds (some say 3/4ths number[s] would not be correct until the end of hostilities) of the American Divisions in France were equipped with the M1917 Enfield." (from the Culver article)

Excerpt from Alvin York's Diary:
May 21, 1918

LeHavre, France: "So we got to France at LeHavre. There we tuned in our guns and got the British guns...I didn't like the British guns so well. I don't think they were as accurate as our American rifles. Ho ho."

I would guess that was the '03 turned in for the M1917.

Page generated in 0.03759 seconds with 8 queries