View Single Post
Old November 29, 2010, 01:45 AM   #8
50of4064

clarification

Not to miss lead you, when I mentioned sanding between coats, Hooligan1 is correct in the use of 0000 steel wool.

On my first stock I tried wiping the oil on with different applicators; rags, sponges, my hand and they all left streaking and lines, I was not a happy camper. I ended sanding out those lines with 2000 grit wet or dry paper and gun oil as the wetting agent, and very little pressure, then wiping the stock down with lacquer thinner and a lint free rag before applying new coats of true oil. Looking back I risked sanding into the finish and that would have been more work, I was careful and suppose lucky that didn't happen. That is when the RUB part of the " oil rubbed finish " made sense. It is not a wipe it on finish. I did not have any help with mine and it was all learn on the job.

Keep in mind that you do not want to get into the finish lest you want to start over. The 0000 steel wool will not take down the finish to the stain, less you just go crazy with it, just enough 0000 steel wool to knock down the gloss and to add some tooth to the surface for the next coat to stick to.

You can't mess the oil finish up, if your not happy with it sand if off and start over, don't be intimidated by the process.

Can't wait to see you finished stock!

Page generated in 0.02836 seconds with 8 queries