View Single Post
Old May 21, 2002, 09:34 AM   #4
Sharp Phil

It really comes down to the company contracted to make the knives. I don't know who Beretta uses, or if they manufacture the blades themselves, but they do a good job in the price range.

Taylor Cutlery, by contrast, manufactures the licensed Smith and Wesson knives. These are generally crap; the quality is far below the price you pay. (Additionally, and apart from the baggage that some see coming with the Smith and Wesson name, a lot of Taylor's designs are blatant ripoffs of other name-brand designs.)

Gutmann Cutlery is behind the Junglee and licensed Walther knives. Junglee blades are of just okay quality -- I would put them about on par with United Cutlery imports -- but overpriced for what you get. The Walthers are the same. And several of the Junglee and Walther designs are obvious ripoffs. The Walther P99 fixed blade, if I remember correctly, is identical to the Applegate-Fairbairn combat knife (but with serrations).

Remington licensed knives are of good quality, in my experience, though this is limited to small pocketknives similar to Camillus or Case pocket folders. I have not handled any of the larger Remington "tactical folder" -style models.

The Glock field knife is a great fixed blade, too, though by design its blade is a bit on the narrow side for some.

United Cutlery manufactures Colt licensed blades, and these are on par with what you'd expect from UC: reasonable quality for the relatively low price you pay, on par with other Taiwanese imports (though Columbia River Knife and Tool really raised the bar for Taiwanese production blade quality).

That's all I can think of right now...

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Page generated in 0.02614 seconds with 8 queries