View Single Post
Old August 30, 2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Screwball

Looking for a New Finish for Ithaca Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
There is no reason whatsoever to refinish your shotgun.

That said, Ionbond from Club Custom Guns, or industrial hard chrome from Mahovsky's Metalife are both superior finishes to anything else.

In regards to refinishing, yes, the shotgun will be perfectly fine without refinishing.

However, I would like to do a fresh finish, as the gun has changed from night to day with the wood and barrel work. I like my firearms to look good when I first get them, as I don't mind wear/marks that I caused. The iPhone pictures do it more justice than it should get. It was definitely used a lot, but don't think was fired too much. Finish is worn on edges of the receiver, like a hunter cradled it in their arms.

In regards to the finishes, I'm really not too knowledgeable on IonBond. Mahovsky's does have good reputation on a few forums I frequent. How does Club Custom Guns' IonBond differ from say Springer Precision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Why do you want to refinish it, especially if it's a defense gun?
Here is my primary home defense gun... also an 870 Police (NP3 Plus).

In regards to why on a defensive gun... because I like my firearms starting off life looking good. I had my ankle backup gun (S&W 642-1, with a 9mm conversion cylinder), done at the same time as the 870. It looks just the same as it did when it came back from Robar. Just as I was in uniform, I like my gear in top shape. It comes down to pride, at least in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rattler View Post
Have you considered Lauer Weaponry's Duracoat or Durablue for the exterior?

Not looking to do it myself, or any DuraCoat. To me, it is a little too lacking in the durability department.

Last edited by Screwball; August 31, 2016 at 06:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.02575 seconds with 8 queries