View Single Post
Old June 12, 2014, 04:47 PM   #24
hank jacobs

lots of good suggestions..

Unclenick.. Well your writeup is very interesting and detailed thank you a lot. It gives me a lot to think about and try. I have prepared another 10 rounds that I will try tomorrow at the range.. if i get to it.. Again reassembled… don’t expect any surprise.. I will see if I can implement some of your suggestions next time I reload.. I will have to get a balance from the neighbor.. and yes bullet pull could be the cause.. Others are also suggesting that it could be in the neck…
So should I expect better consistency using a Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizer Die? I ordered one.. and hope that this will be a fix.. Well only got one 336 diameter bushing which means not much to adjust in terms of tension. I do not have a chrono yet...

Your suggestion: "One test for the above issues, collectively, would be to partially pull and then reseat some GMM rounds and see if they still producing the same velocity and are still grouping as well as before. If loosening the neck grip drops velocity and precision, the neck bond may be an issue as may the graphite."… Will try this.. going down to the basement to prepare 4 …. done … will take them to the range.. and report back..

Your suggestion: "Did you decap and re-prime when you used the Collet die? If so, primer seating variation can cause serious accuracy issues.” yes you are right I did using the Lee die.. .. and honestly did not think about this…. what should I look for? checked the rounds for tomorrow..and they seem to be in all the way…

Again many thanks to the suggestions..

Cw308. Thanks for your response and questions as well: Back to your Questions "Hank, Did you measure case length of the Federal round before removing the bullet." No. I only measured the case length after pulling the bullets and it was 50.93 mm = 2.00512´ after unloading with unloading hammer..
Do you see an issue here?

your comment " Than neck size to the same case lenght & OAL to the olive." Yes, did neck size using lee collet die that graps the entire neck if this is what you mean… and NO did not measure OAL to the ogive.. only OAL to the tip. OAL to the tip was measure before (original) and in the reassembled rounds. They were pretty close. Do you see an issue here?

"I can understand what your doing and why it wouldn't? I reload with Federal FC 308 cases, fed. 210M primers, IMR 4064 40.5 grains & neck size with RCBS standard neck die. Works very good for me 3/4" and better at 200 yds. I shoot 20 timed rounds per range trip and yes I clean after every shoot. "

CW308 How do you clean? just curious… I was told not to clean … AND in terms of primers I got GM210M as well to play with once I got the neck tension bullet setting issue worked out.

"You checked the runout, I would agree it's somewhere in the case neck

This gives me some confidence that it might be in the case neck..

Page generated in 0.02557 seconds with 8 queries