View Single Post
Old April 6, 2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Walt, here's what he said in his first post:
Quote:
It has the Nazi Eagle over WaA 140 on all the parts of the gun.
If it has the Eagle over the Waffenamt, it is highly collectable.
I know he wrote that, but I didn't see it in the photos. I don't doubt that the gun has a WaA 140 Waffenampt.

I thought all Waffenampt had the eagle? Everyone I've ever seen on German weapons did. I've had several, including several Lugers and Star Model Bs. If I'm wrong on that point, I'm ready to be corrected, but in any event, the eagle is NOT rare. I doubt that Waffenampt are found on all the parts; he probably meant the last few digits of the serial number.

Looking at my Fjestad Blue Book, if the model shown is a Pattern III model, as suggested, in 90% condition, it's probably worth at least $600. The Bakelite grips in good condition adds another 15% to the base value. The WaA140 Waffenamt is less valuable than some. (A different number, an "N", or no number might increase the value by another 20%.)

If my reference materials are correct -- they may not be -- this gun is not as rare as other FN/BHPs from the period .There were more of the Pattern III guns produced than any of the other BHP-type guns used by the Germans. More importantly, product quality began to degrade toward the end of the war.

Earlier models (Pattern I and II), pre-War models, and some Post-war models are worth a good bit more than this one.

It's a nice gun. If it were mine, it would be in the gun safe and not fired (to protect it's condition.) If the owner ever considers selling it, he should take it to a dealer who specializes in collectible weapons for a more useful appraisal. I suspect, however, the gun has more sentimental value to the owner, and it will probably continue in its role as a family heirloom.

Page generated in 0.03599 seconds with 8 queries