View Single Post
Old August 22, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Woody55

Well, if I recall correctly, in the Army your rifle was zeroed if you could make a three shot group fit inside a 4 cm diameter circle at 25 meters. That's firing from the prone position with a sandbag or three for support.

Roughly speaking, that translates into 16 cm at 100 m which is a tad over 6". Call it 6" at 100 yards.

I'd say this is the absolute minimum you should be able to achieve.

You'll do better with a bench, a sling, good ammunition, ammunition matched to the rifle, a rifle that isn't worn out etc.

Another way of looking at it is that you ought to be able to hit an adversary at 300 m. Say a person is 12" wide more or less. If you can't make a 4" group at 100 m, you aren't going to hit a person at 300 m.

If I'm hunting, I figure if I can't hit a paper plate at a given distance, while I am in a given position with that weapon and ammunition, I don't need to be shooting at an animal under those conditions. For me and an AR-15 with iron sights, that's usually means within 100 m to 200 m depending on what position I am in and if I can lean against something.

I shoot better with a sling, but I don't use one.

Page generated in 0.03144 seconds with 8 queries