View Single Post
Old January 24, 2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Deaf Smith

Quote:
but this takes MUCH more shooting to build up the muscle memory and reflex, that = more time + more ammo, of which i dont have alot of either currently.
Not really Troy.

For you see you should be practicing sighted fire for when the ranges are longer or the target area is smaller (as in they are wearing a bullet proof vest, or behind cover, or using a hostage, etc...)

Doing that you get the advantages of point shooting (low light, can't see sights) and the advantage of sighted fire shooting in one practice session by just practicing one method and ingraining the technique.

In reality you need two forms of shooting. One, a form of retention/hip shooting for 0 to about 3 yards, and then a form of sighted fire to cover, and overlap, from 2 yards out.

And that is really what the Modern Technique was about. Now as for what ‘stance’ or exact type of sighted fire, or big bore .vs. small bore, etc… I don’t really care about. I normally don’t even use the Weaver stance but a form of isosceles. And I use a 9mm and not .45. And the speed rock is replaced with a form of retention shooting. But I do memorize my hold on the weapon and relation between that and the sights. As a result, at close range I can just close my eyes and hit well.

But it's not from the direction of practicing point shooting. It's from practicing sighted fire.

And this is why master class shots shoot so easily and well. They didn't start by learning point shooting. They learned sighted fire and realized they always indexed on the target and had their sights already in alignment before even looking at them.

Page generated in 0.03734 seconds with 8 queries