View Single Post
Old April 6, 2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Fingers McGee

Quote Gmatov:
Quote:
The Walker was, by design, engineered to fire 60 grains of powder under a conical bullet. NOT a 140 grain round ball.
Not having any loading instructions for current production Uberti or older ASM Walkers to compare to; my Colt reference - The History of the Colt Revolver - says in part:

"The recess in the lower part of the barrel lug to allow the bullet to come under the rammer is large, as the arms were designed to carry a half ounce conical bullet."

and:

"The chamber capacity is approximately fifty grains of black powder, which with a conical bullet of two hundred and twenty grains makes a load that would be superior to most of the present day revolver cartridges."

Also, instructions for the 2nd Generation Colt Walkers listed the following loading data:

Grains: 35 - 55
Ball Dia: .451 - .457
Cap size: 11
Recommended grains: 50
Recommended Ball dia: .457

Now, with a round ball, chamber capacity would be more than the 50 grains; and I have loaded 60 grains and a round ball in a Uberti Walker before; but wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Was way too much to handle.

BTW - on a side note. The recommended ball dia for all 2nd Gen 36 cal pistols was .378 - .380 with recommended size of .378.

That explains why .375s never shaved a very good ring in my 2nd Gen '51 Navies and had a tendency to back out.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.03169 seconds with 8 queries