View Single Post
Old October 20, 2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Webleymkv

Well, let's step back and think about this for a moment. Because of it's rifled barrel, we know that the Governor will likely produce the same "doughnut" type patterns that the Taurus Judge is known for so the useful range of shotshells is limited, but then again self-defense is a short-range proposition the vast majority of the time anyway. .410 Birdshot probably shouldn't even be considered for self-defense because of its poor penetration, but .410 Buckshot can still give us adequate penetration at short range. Finally, we know that .410 revolvers usually give mediocre accuracy with .45 Long Colt/.45 ACP loadings because of the long jump that the bullet has to make to the forcing cone. I wouldn't expect much better than 5-6" 25 yard groups from a Governor loaded with .45 Long Colt or .45 ACP ammo, but that's still accurate enough to hit an attacker at self-defense range if the shooter does his/her part.

So, what does it all mean? Well, the main limitation that I see to the Governor is range, but as I mentioned earlier SD is a short range proposition anyway. .410 Buckshot would seem effective enough in close quarters and I don't think anyone would sneer at the .45 Long Colt or .45 ACP as a defensive round. Also, the Governor can be reloaded with speedloaders or moonclips, so it doesn't have a speed disadvantage when compared to other DA revolvers. Is the Governor better than a more conventional revolver for SD? No I don't really think it is. Is it as good as a more conventional revolver? That's debatable. Is it adequate as a self-defense arm? Yes I think it probably is.

Last edited by Webleymkv; October 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.03405 seconds with 8 queries