View Single Post
Old June 17, 2009, 02:49 PM   #168
Donn_N

Quote:
This is a myth that law enforcement personnel constantly repeat.
Fact is that folks have been "clearing" their own homes for thousands of years, and typically with more success than failure.
It isn't a myth and it is not only LE that recommends not clearing your house on your own. It is demonstrable fact. Lots of folks have tried the exercise of getting a friend to be the armed intruder while the homeowner attempts to take him out. Both are armed with airsoft guns. The result is normally not pretty for the homeowner.

Now if you're talking about taking out an unarmed drunk who happens into the wrong apartment, sure, apartment dweller 1, drunk 0. But the odds of anyone taking out an armed opponent waiting for them somewhere in a darkened house is slim.

The reason homeowners are generally successful is that most burglars are not armed and will flee at the sight of an armed homeowner, not because it is so easy to clear one's abode against an armed opponent.

So if the bg is armed, I'm still safer avoiding him. If the bg is breaking in to set my house on fire, I'll call the fire department and leave through the window.

I would be very surprised if you could find one recognized security expert who recommends trying to clear one's house on their own. I've seen articles that give tips on how to do it, but I never recall seeing one that doesn't start with the recommendation that you not do it if you have the choice.

Page generated in 0.02612 seconds with 8 queries