View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Ruger4570

Have you tried jacketed bullets at this point. I was just wondering as it might give you a benchmark of accuracy. I have cast for more years than I want to think about and have found bullets from some molds just won't shoot as well as slugs from others. Lee makes good molds for the most part and I use one of theirs for my 45LC and it shoots the best of my 3 other molds. I cast straight wheelweights mostly, but due to the imprecise nature of the mix, I sometimes add a little leadless solder to the mix as it is almost pure tin. This helps to make the bullets cast better. You might want to slug your barrel and compare it to the diameter of your bullets too. Lately I have been sizing and lubing my bullets as normal then using some of Lee's tumble lube also. There seems to be, in 2 of my guns (45LC/45-70) an improvement in accuracy and leading is almost non-existant. Seeing you are in Canada and you have a big supply of snow, you can also do what I do when casting. I get a bucket full of clean snow and add enough cold water to get a slush. I drop my casts directly into this VERY cold water and it does make them measurably harder than air cooled or into just cold water. Hope some of this helps..Good luck with the problem

Page generated in 0.02699 seconds with 8 queries