View Single Post
Old July 5, 2002, 12:33 PM   #8
kungfool

I have been knocked out one time. I have witnessed half a dozen others. (Mine was street related) The others I have witnessed have all been kicks to the head.
As someone in here pointed out there are varying degrees of being knocked out. I have seen a competitor come back around very quickly and some that even with the amonia caps under their nose, were slow to wake up. Not in any of these cases was the knock-out to the chin.

In every case, it was a kick delivered to the side of the head/neck area. It actually takes less force with a kick than a punch to knock someone out because of the weight of the leg involved in delivering the "shocking' blow that makes the brain collide with the skull causing a temporary loss of consiousness.

I am not saying that a knockout cannot be lethal. I am not saying striking the chin cannot cause a knockout. I am simply stating what I have experienced in my martial arts journey.

(RobRPM2222).......excellent explanation of choking vs (what was refered to me as "the sleeper hold".) In my youth I had it done to me several times and done it to at least a score of other people. One time I was out for twenty minutes. Scared the hell out of everyone there. I think it's amazing none of us ever caused permanent or serious damage to each other. I am a martial arts instructor and have taught that technique to two people, my son and my wife. (Though I have met "civilians" (non-martial artists) who know the technique.

Page generated in 0.03341 seconds with 8 queries