View Single Post
Old March 25, 1999, 11:48 AM   #10
JMC

Ok Chris,

I am a firm believer in doing all the extras by hand when and if needed.

With handgun ammo, it isn't needed.
Period. My personal results have proven this to my satisfaction.

With rifle, I wouldn't even consider loading my ammo for any of my hunting bolt guns on a Dillon. Each case is FL sized, trimmer and primer pockets cleaned.

I have even gone as far as to uniform the primer pockets on some rounds and to ream the inside of the case necks.

I have a Rem. M700 VSSF in .308 that I load only one load for and it is used to punch paper. I load every round from the ground up performing each step by hand including weighing every powder charge on an electronic scale.

For my M1A and HBAR AR-15 I have tried different approaches to loading large numbers of rounds for these weapons.

Read my post slowly about the 300 yard test w/.308 rounds loaded both ways.

Earlier this year I purchased some new Federal .223 brass and loaded it with the new Sierra 77gr. HPBT bullet and Federal 205M primers on the Dillon 550B.

100 yard 10 shot groups using the HBAR w/a 10x Leupold scope over a Hart rest gave me 3/4" groups and a couple that hovered around the 1/2" mark. Not too bad for "progressive" machine loading.

300 yard groups were right in there at MOA and I was plenty happy with that.

Then the brass was tumbled, FL sized, not trimmed, primer pockets cleaned and loaded on the 550B and yes, the primers were seated on it also.

Fix your press and try doing some real testing for yourself you may be surprised at your results. ??

------------------
Jim

"NJ...The First Communist State in the Union"

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited March 25, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 8 queries