View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017, 08:06 PM   #177
Don Fischer

Seen's to me that before you think of a survival rifle you should think about what survival rifle really means to you! Are you using it primarily to survive or a defensive weapon for bad time's? A handgun is a defensive weapon. Most any CF rifle is an assault rifle. You absolutely do not need a CF rifle to simply survive. You need it to provide food for yourself. RF 22 mag is the way I would go. I wouldn't take on a bear with it but would not bother me one bit to take on much of anything else with it. This is the accuracy is everything rifle. For surviving, a pocket full of 22 mag's will last you a lot longer than even a 223. You could opt for a 22 LR but I don't think you would get that many more in your pocket, 22 LR wold certainly work though. If you shoot a rabbit with your 223 your not gonna have all that much left to eat! Most Rim fires I would take in a hot second to any CF rifle.

Now if this was a weapon to survive during an attack, I'll still take the 22 mag. Think about where you'd get ammo, conserve ammo. Your probably not a trained warrior so leave that to them and you evade and hide. Ya really need an assault rifle, shoot the enemy in the head with your 22 and take his rifle and his ammo! During time's like those, CF ammo fired will call attention to yourself, 22 RF may go completely un-noticed, especially the 22 RF particularly a 22 short and it still will kill more than you can eat! I would say that it should not be a handgun either. Few people can shoot a handgun, even a rim fire one well enough to feed themselves on a regular basis.

Some of these discussion's on survival seem to get way out of hand particularly cartridges and rifle's to accomplish it.

Page generated in 0.02456 seconds with 8 queries