View Single Post
Old March 11, 2017, 03:25 AM   #31
MadDawg

The way I see it, 41F was a scheme by the government to curb sales of silencers and other NFA items... Nothing more, nothing less.

It wasn't about stopping crime, or stopping criminals from getting a hold of weapons that they should not possess; criminals are criminals and don't really care about breaking the laws in the first place; all gun restrictions are merely tools against law abiding gun owners meant to discourage ownership.

41F is a great idea in that respect; it does something that would be otherwise frowned upon to be done against, again, law abiding gun owners. If a criminal got arrested for a crime, does the family members get their mugshots taken, fingerprinted, and forced to sign witness statements ? No, certainly that'd be frowned upon.. But law abiding citizens, desiring to purchase a silencer, or other nfa item, under a trust, must now do that. Prior, if I wanted to purchase a silencer, and add it to my trust, all I had to do was pony up for the silencer, and submit my paperwork, and wait. Now, I have to drag the wife, and anyone else on the trust, down, and have them fingerprinted, mugshot taken, and interviewed - all because I decided to purchase something.. Now, the wife is involved; how many wives will tell the husband - "Uh, NO honey... " and be forced to walk away.. How many will no longer bother trying ? Yes, some think it's because the HPA might get passed; honestly, I don't see it getting passed in its current form; and it won't likely get passed in the next few years; gov't folks in the ATF are now going to say - look- less people are buying now- no need to remove suppressors from the NFA as they aren't becoming as common place as trends had suggested... Some of your reps are going to vote no anyways as silencers are seen as assassin's tools...

41F was the ATF's answer to rising sales of NFA items... It was designed to slow down the process, and negatively impact those considering purchasing them- by forcing inclusion of everyone else on the trusts.. The fingerprints, mugshots, and additional forms give them reasons to "take more time".. How many wives will associate getting their mugshots taken, and being finger printed, and filling out statements, and oh, it's legal to purchase --- together ? Nope, they will feel like criminals- and not want to do it.. The truth is, you can purchase a gun with reasonable assurance that you are not a felon - using the NICS system in 15 minutes at a gun store, alone, but it now takes the better part of a year for some gov't employee to look over a handful of forms, cash a $200 check, and slap a stamp on a form, & mail it back to you.. Just by forcing inclusion of the wives, which are on many trusts, means far less NFA items will be purchased.. That was the intention of 41F, and it's working as designed.

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries