View Single Post
Old January 2, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10
USAFNoDak

Quote:
Lot's of overlap between those who study Objectivism and those who study 2nd Amendment issues, in any case. It's refreshing to find others of the same bent here.
The issue of rights, including those protected, not granted, by our Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights, is an issue which garners support from across the political spectrum, albeit at different levels of support. Thus, it should be, hopefully, difficult to ban a whole class of firearms (eg.; semiautomatics), given some recent court decisions, the advance of carry permit laws, and the recognition of the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right by the USSC in the Heller case. Dianne Feinstein will still try. What success she'll have seems to be in question. I hope I'm reading the political tea leaves correctly. The Newtown killings gave the anti gun rights folks some momentary opportunity to get vocal about banning "assault weapons". However, I still believe the majority of people in the US understand that an "assault weapons" ban would have had no effect on stopping such an incident. As a matter of fact, CT has an "assault weapons" ban in place and this event still took place. People understand that as they have time to reflect, absent the immediate horror of the event itself.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.

Page generated in 0.03949 seconds with 8 queries