View Single Post
Old November 30, 2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Wyosmith

A large hole in the rear peep, set close to the eye, is the best over-all rear sight there is next to a scope. If the hole is .062" or even as large as .080", you will find a peep sight is easier to align in dim light than any open barrel mounted sight ever made.

On my M-1 Garand, my FAL and my M-14 I took a cobalt drill and opened up the rear apertures to .062" way back when I still had good eyes. I was very competitive in rifle matches, and after I opened up the holes my scores went up, not down. So the idea that I used to believe, that a small hole was more precise was disproven to me, and to every other shooter I let try my rifles.

Center is center. If you carefully align the sights a larger hole is NOT less accurate. In point of fact, the larger hole lets more light through which makes alignment easier, not harder.

I like globe sights on hunting rifles myself, but in snow storms you have to keep a cover over them. I use a cloth "bag' I sewed together that fits loosely over the muzzle and extends down the barrel about 10". I left a piece of loose cloth hanging from it so I can pull it off quickly.
I have never found them to be any worse for rain than any other sight. All shots in real bad weather are close because you can't see through the rain or snow very far. But neither can the deer or elk.

Page generated in 0.04240 seconds with 8 queries