View Single Post
Old September 4, 2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Slamfire

Quote:
That's some mighty fine shooting there slamfire. I don't have any N135--but I do have quite a bit of H322. My Marlin has a pretty stiff trigger--your groups reflect superb technique.
Try some H322, it is a good powder in the 30-30 Winchester. My Marlin also has a stiff trigger, but I think trigger pull had gotten heavier over time. What I have noticed, with my Ruger #1, and other mechanisms, is that vertical stringing is more likely with a heavy trigger. You tend to pull the shot down as a heavy trigger breaks. It is a lot more work to shoot a good group with a heavy trigger.

In terms of groups and technique, I am not a believer in three shot groups. This is more Gun writer nonsense. These guys get a flat fee for their articles and they reduce the cost of bullets, powder, and time, by shooting as few rounds down range as possible. I have lived through the era when Gunwriters fired ten shot groups, now it is three, and I predict that the shooting community will accept one shot groups, or virtual groups. Virtual groups will consist of the Gunwriter sitting before his computer screen, maybe yelling "Bang" and imagining what the group looks like.

If you shoot in a competitive sport what you learn is that consistency is hard. And winners are very consistent. The good ones, amazingly consistent. You have to see the groups fired by a National Champion to understand the amount of improvement needed to shoot at his level. It can be very humbling. If you shoot F Class, the typical match is 60 rounds for record. You shoot 20 rounds for record, three times over. No one wins the match with a three shot group. Three shot groups are basically worthless in determining accuracy or inherent accuracy, which again, are more reasons Gunwriters shoot them. They don't want to put out definitive information that readers may use, and use not to buy the rifle they are shilling for.

One of the absolute best shooting sports that I have engaged with, that has improved my technique, is smallbore prone. You shoot a 22lr rifle, match winner is decided after a total of 120 rounds, or 160 rounds, evenly divided at 50 yards and 100 yards. To be good at this game you have to have your fundamentals down. The fundamentals of position, sight alignment, and trigger pull. To be great, you have to read the wind as though it was large print text. I don't know how the greats do it, but, I am getting better at it.

100 Yard Match target, ten shots, prone with a sling.

Page generated in 0.03314 seconds with 8 queries