View Single Post
Old November 17, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
jmstr

Python, Anaconda, S&W and Ruger: oh my!

I had an experience earlier this year that I've been mulling over to understand, but still can't figure out.

After doing a LOT of searches, I've come to realize I still don't get it.

The 'it' in question is the love for the Colt DiamondBack/Python/Anaconda revolvers.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to shoot a full cylinder from 4 revolvers back to back: Python, S&W Model 686, Ruger SRH and Anaconda.

I understand my experience was with a representation of 1 for each pistol.

I found all 4 to be more accurate than I was.

I found all 4 to 'feel' good in my hand and point well.

I found the S&W to have the smoothest trigger [it had seen a gunsmith 6 months earlier], but not by a huge amount.

After all was said and done, I enjoyed shooting all 4 pistols.

In the interest of full disclosure, I shoot semi-autos much more often than revolvers. This means I may not 'feel' nuances that more frequent wheel-men will notice.

However, when all was said and done, I couldn't feel any significant improvement in the trigger mechanism of the Colt revolvers compared to the other two.

Am I just so inexperienced with revolvers that I didn't notice it in 6 rounds?

Or, have S&W and Ruger improved their handguns so much in the past 20 years that there isn't a landmark difference between them any more?

I was left wondering what all the hype was about: other than the look and the reputation. I mean, from what I've read the Colt revolvers are more likely to go out of time than revolvers from Ruger, S&W or Taurus. And the Ruger is reputed to be able to handle the most frequent use of max load rounds.

I found the finish on the Python and Anaconda to be beautiful. I don't know if I've ever seen a bluing job as pretty on a revolver. But, if it costs 3 times as much as my Ruger, if the Python is more 'delicate' of an action with full house loads, and if it is hard to find Colt revolver gunsmiths, I don't see why I should buy a Python.

I like the history, but I'm a user: not a collector. I acquire firearms I wish to shoot as often as I can afford to. My mindset isn't geared to 'safe queens' that I'll never fire.

So, what am I missing? I've been trying to figure this out for at least 4 months.

Any thoughts to help me make sense of my experience?

I feel like the uneducated kid on the first day of college: everyone raves about the Colt revolver and I'm not noticing a difference in how it performs in my hand over Ruger or S&W.

This makes me feel like something is wrong with me.

Page generated in 0.02727 seconds with 8 queries