View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 03:08 PM   #23
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
How many times can you reload a cartridge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael
The general answer is "a lot". The specific answer depends on a number of variables. How heavy a loading do you use? What kind of dies? How much do you work the brass when you are reloading? What kind of brass? How quickly and efficiently do you clean your BP loaded case after firing? Etc.
I have some .45 ACP cases that are usable and that I know have been loaded more than 40 times...
Pete
Add to that list of variables the rifle's or revolver's headspace. Cases that headspace on the rim, such as .45 Colt and .44-40, will not be long in this world if shot out of a gun that has excessive headspace.
One way to judge headspace is to shoot a primed empty case in the gun and see how much the primer backs out of the primer pocket.

My first revolver, a Ruger Super Blackhawk, had this problem and full power or close to full power .44 mag loads would give me case separation after less than a half dozen reloads. Even .44 special reloads would eventually separate the case head.
I now have a S&W model 29 in .44 mag and I have yet to have this problem. When the cases wear out, it's due to splitting around the neck.

Page generated in 0.02743 seconds with 8 queries