View Single Post
Old November 8, 2013, 08:29 PM   #40
steveNChunter

Well guys I finally made my decision. After trying like crazy to figure out whether I should go the 7mm-08 or .308 route, I settled on neither.

I ordered a Savage Axis stainless in .223 today

I decided that if I was going to have a dedicated range rifle it should be one I could shoot all day and not get a sore shoulder, and also it needed to be easy and inexpensive to load for. That checklist kept bringing me back to .223

While it won't be used for the same type of hunting as the 7-08 or .308, it will be just as good of a target round out to about 600 yards. Which is most likely as far as I'll ever shoot. If I want to go farther than that I'll spend more money and get something else. The Axis has a 1:9 twist which should work well with the 69 gr Sierra Matchking. I also have a ton of .223 brass and SR primers lying around since I already have a .223 (it has a 1:12 twist so I won't use the same bullets in the two rifles)

The first things I plan to do when I get the rifle are order a Boyd's stock and work on lightening up the trigger.

Thanks anyway for all the comments and helping me figure out what I wanted, or in this case didn't want

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries