View Single Post
Old November 9, 2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Lohman446

Quote:
Some old behaviorist analyses of prison and punishment as behavior changes indicated that unless punishment was applied very quickly after the offense it had no effect in preventing future actions. A shorter and less severe punishment that was applied quickly was better than a more severe but delayed punishment.
This is consistent with the works of B.F. Skinner and others on learning and memory. Pay attention tot he underlined and bold portion. The consider this portion of what James K mentioned:

Quote:
Tell him that if he is caught robbing a store on Tuesday he can forget about that hot date on Friday night
Now I have taken this somewhat out of context because he advocated for fairly harsh punishment but I think the point is valid. The punishment needs to be sudden and, as much as it pains me to mention it, if it is not tremendously severe and can be readily appealed or overturned the risks to innocents is lessened. Arrest me for a crime I did not commit, let me out on bail, and then let me spend the next several months or years preparing for my defense and you have cost me the enjoyment of that time. Arrest me for a crime I did not commit and jail me for a week or so and give me a speedy trial you have cost me the entirety of that week but I can enjoy the next several months or years after being exonerated. So there might be a cost to society - pay me well for that week you kept me wrongly jailed while I awaited trial and I will get over it .

Page generated in 0.03628 seconds with 8 queries