View Single Post
Old October 16, 2019, 06:56 AM   #14
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevmavrick View Post
The last few years, I have been having fun with a little lever-gun.
I wanted, and have, for a long time, a Winchester M92 .25/20.
It struck me as the easiest carrying rifle for small game I could imagine.
The hangup was the price. I couldn't afford it.
I am now using a Rossi .256 Magnum with 20" carbine barrel and 1/2-magazine. It has a Lyman tang-style peep-sight and a longish ramp bead front-sight with Hi-Viz bead.
It has a shotgun-style butt with a thin recoil pad, so it won't "skitter" across the linolium floor when I put it behind the kitchen door.
Most of the ammo is lead 60-grain cast bullets with a bit of pistol powder.
I keep thinking about getting another, with a, probably, 24" barrel, leaving the magazine alone, so that it would be a 3/4-length.
Have fun,
Gene
That has got to be a custom Rossi levergun as after a search of available literature, they have never made one commercially in that configuration. I found some speculation about what the performance of a .256 Mag levergun but no information that one was actually produced so yours may be unique. As to the caliber, Winchester first produced it in 1960 and Marlin offered a Model 62 Levermatic in .256 Mag. Winchester developed it from a necked down .357 Mag case. It's now considered obsolete and no one makes a firearm in that caliber so it's very likely a custom barreled gun.

Page generated in 0.04987 seconds with 8 queries