View Single Post
Old June 21, 2016, 01:09 PM   #459
speedrrracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme
Missing from this stalking-horse of an argument is the reality that community norms have changed. Whereas in the distant past, respectable citizens might have been allowed to, and might have, openly carried, and concealed carry was the mark of a shifty character up to no good, today that's not true. Open carry in an urban area (one of the minority where it's legal) presents a risk that someone will panic, and it draws passive scrutiny even where it is legal and common.
While I agree norms have changed, I don't believe that such changes should necessarily affect the Constitution. If we wish them to, we can amend the Constitution to more clearly reflect our current norms.

So while I agree with the 9th that there may be some few & generally ancient proscriptions against concealed carry, they recoiled from their duty of dealing with the elephant in the room, which is that no form of "and bear" exists for the lion's share of the people of California.

They have not always shown such reluctance to deal with the broader issue, and therefore their cowardice and bias here reeks all the stronger.

Page generated in 0.02627 seconds with 8 queries