View Single Post
Old June 18, 2014, 11:46 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
there is a strong perception that anyone who seeks help for PTSD will immediately and automatically be reported to NICS and put on the prohibited list. No adjudication, no involuntary commitment, no due process ... just an administrative protocol.
I don't doubt you a bit. But, is the "strong perception" the actual reality? And is it system wide? Officially approved policy? Or just "policy" done with the administration's "wink and nod" and no official written policy?

If it is actually happening as it is being perceived as happening, then I would regard this as a violation of rights, and law.

I can tell you that the VA has been in favor of no guns for "at risk" individuals for many years. Over a decade ago, before the recent "awareness" of the role of mental illness in current mass shootings, the VA would ..discourage gun ownership, but they didn't do anything to put you on the prohibited person's list.

I knew a fellow in that situation then. Was seeking help from the VA for medical and mental problems (VietNam era vet). The VA essentially told him, if he wanted their help, get rid of his guns. Otherwise, they would not help him. (possibly, even likely not the official policy at the time, but it was done, in this one particular case, at least).

The VA (particularly the people in the administrative end of things are currently on the hook for a LOT of misdeeds. They shouldn't be let off the hook on this, either.

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries