View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 08:50 PM   #19
jmr40

Quote:
I don't think a chronograph will help reloaders to develop a load for best accuracy. Only for the highest velocity. And seldom are both objectives met with the same recipe of components.
I sorta agree, especially from a target shooters perspective, but as a hunter my chronograph is invaluable for developing a balance between acceptable accuracy, and bullet speed. I load primarily for 308 and 30-06. By careful powder selection I'm able to best factoy loads by around 50 fps in the 308, closer to 150 fps in the 30-06. And do it with loads 1-2 gr below max listed loads. Accuracy is between 1/2-3/4". I suppose I could be a bit more picky about accuracy, but that meets my requirements. Especially from hunting rifles.

I use my chrono just like the speedometer in my truck. To keep me out of trouble. I have no desire to load anything over what is listed in a reputable loading manual. But I don't want to buy a 30-06 and shoot it at 300 Savage speeds either. Most traditional pressure signs don't show up until you're already well above safe levels. My chronograph lets me know how fast I'm going at load levels that are still safe. Loading without a chronogaph is like driving without a speedometer, only a warning light that comes on at 90 mph.

And you don't have to be hot rodding a load to get into trouble. I've seen different guns shoot ammo from the same box more than 100 fps different with a load 2 gr below max. It would be perfectly safe in one rifle, but not the other. I've seen loads that were 3 gr below max exceed the velocity suggested for a max load. It would be very easy for someone without a chronograph to think they had a mid level, perfectly safe load when it is in fact a borderline hot load, at least in some rifles.

Quote:
I don't think it's worth the expense (barrel life and components) to keep adjusting bullet seating depth in search of better accuracy. Load them to fit the magazine for general use
This is exactly what I do. I load my bullets to fit the magazine with enough room to make sure nothing will hang up even if the cartridge is at a bit of an angle in the magazine. If the bullet bumps the rifling when chambered, I seat it a little deeper until it doesn't. I quit worrying about exact seating depth a long time ago. My accuracy is good enough.

Page generated in 0.03660 seconds with 8 queries