View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 02:59 AM   #12
Scottish Highlander

So really this is where a chronograph is a must for reloading I'd say.

Eg......If you loaded a 150 grain ballistic tip boat tail into a brass case and you had it touching the lands and started with the lowest powder weight in the book. You may find that because of that, the pressure could be up but so would the velocity. As you seated the bullet deeper in graduations of 0.002 you would see the velocity drop and also the pressure would to. This is when you would increase the powder grains by 0.2 grain to bump up the velocity again. And at some point you would find that one load some where in the middle your personal rifle would say YES this is where I want to be at with this bullet and you'd be shooting 1/2 inch @ 100 yards consistently or tighter.

Ok well I'm beginning to think this reloading has wayyyyyy more involved in it than I'd first presumed. The magazine on my rifle doesn't allow me to chamber reloaded bullets over a certain length which really eliminates getting closer to the lands than I already am.....unless I just drop them in and close the bolt as a single shot.

Note to myself BUY A CHRONOGRAPH lol

Jamie

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries