View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
flintlock.50

Minimum bullet to case contact

I'm loading 165 grain Accubonds for my .30-06. With these bullets the rifle definitely shoots best with the bullet 10 mils off the lands. That puts my overall cartridge length considerably longer than the SAAMI maximum, but I can't argue with the holes on the paper.

The combination of long cartridge and boat tail bullet means I have less than one bore diameter contact between the bullet and case neck. Should I be concerned?

FWIW, today I put four in the magazine, fired the first three, then examined the 4th. The bullet did not seem to have moved in the case, BUT the polymer tip had been deformed, I'm guessing by hitting the front of the magazine during recoil. I must admit I did not examine the tips before loading. Also, I had not pushed the cartridges to the rear of the magazine, but the magazine only has about 1/4 inch extra space with these cartridges, so it's not unreasonable to think recoil would have "pushed" the cartridges forward, damaging the tips.

Comments, please?

Thanks!

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!

Page generated in 0.03084 seconds with 8 queries