View Single Post
Old August 30, 2011, 08:14 AM   #7
PawPaw

I used that same bullet (100 grain, pre-Interlock) last year on a smallish spike buck (about 115 lbs) and I have mixed feelings about it. Almost classic broadside shot at about 120 yards. I knew that he was hit hard, because he flopped on his side, then got up and limped into the woods. I waited about 20 minutes and trailed him. Blood everywhere He had walked down a logging road and had piled up about 40 yards from where I shot him.

Autopsy revealed that the bullet had entered just behind the shoulder and had blown up on a rib. It shattered the on-side lung and left a hole in him that I could put my fist in. Lots of bloodshot meat and the shoulder was nearly ruined from bruising. There is no doubt that the bullet did it's job, but I wonder if I was driving it too hard. With my handloard I'm pushing that bullet over 3000 fps and I don't think that the bullet was designed for impacts that fast.

Still, the deer was dead, dead, dead. I've bought some Partitions and that's what is loaded for that rifle this year. I'm letting my niece use the rifle this year and we'll keep those old 100 grain bullets for practice and use the Partitions for hunting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries