Thread: Bullet Diameter
View Single Post
Old December 12, 1999, 09:56 PM   #7
Paul B.

Spectre. If your bullets are sized properly, they should shoot OK. The Lee stuff for casting is not too bad. I have the Lee Production pot, which is not too bad for a beginner. Their molds cast good bullets, but are a bit fragile. If you want the equivilant to a hardball load, RCBS' 45-230 round nose is a good one. It's a 2 cavity and in my experience, RCBS mold break in a bit faster than other iron molds. If you want a 6 cavity mold, I think Lee has one, but I know nothing about them. Invest in a proper luber-sizer. Both Lyman and RCBS make them, and the nice part is the dies for either will fit in the other.
Try and scrounge up a bunch of old wheel weights, melt them down and clean the clips and dirt and crap from your metal. With about 10 pounds of cleaned wheel weight in you pot, add about 1/2 of a bar of 50-50 solder. This will give you enough tin in your melt to make it cast well.
That's enough confusion for now. When you are ready to go, get a copy of the LYMAN CAST BULLET RELOADING MANUAL. That'll give you a good base to make reasonably intelligent decisions. If you get too confused, you can always E-mail me with your questions, and then we can both be confused. What the heck.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries