View Single Post
Old October 16, 2005, 09:22 PM   #12
gb_in_ga

"One of the main objectives of the research is whether or not mental imagery or mental practice can be added as a basic element of marksmanship training."

Good thing to ask about and research, if you want to know my opinion of it.

I answered the questionaire.

And I'll summarize my own feelings on it. Personally, I think that, with "marksmanship 101" in mind, I don't think that beginners need to be burdened with the mental aspects. I feel that paying attention to the physical mechanics is more profitable in the beginning, no point overloading the novice with things he/she is not ready for yet. I feel that merely knowing and practicing those mechanics will make for a competent shooter, but it will never make for a mature masterful shooter. What seperates the master from the merely competent is mainly mental in nature. With that in mind, I'd save the mental part for a "marksmanship 201 or 301" level of training -- let's get them competent first.

An analogy would be that it is better to learn to crawl, then walk, and then run all before you start training to be an Olympic marathon runner.

--------------

"And some times the gun surprisses me by going off, I dont want to sound like I am not being safe, its not that, its just that my concentration is so complete that time slows, I hear very little around me."

Sounds familiar. Yes, when I'm doing slow fire, it not only happens to me, I WANT it to happen that way. That means that I had a good trigger pull, no anticipation at all. And that slowing of time and tuning out of surroundings is also something that I experience. I trained that into myself -- it is all part of the mental aspect.

Page generated in 0.01998 seconds with 8 queries