Thread: Bond Arms
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2018, 03:24 AM   #8
Hal

No - I don't have a Bond Arms - nor do I have a .410 derringer.

I do have a Davies .22 two barrel derringer though. I used to carry it in my shirt pocket when I cut the grass in early Spring, loaded with one shot shell and one CB cap.

A lot of snakes would hide in the rather tall grass & get caught up in the mower blades. I hate to see anything suffer so...

I can say this about a two barreled derringer shooting a shot shell - - anything at all that resembles accuracy is pure luck.
At close range, like @ the distance from a standing person's hand to the ground nearly right in front of them - - hitting a writhing semi-chopped up snake in the head is nearly impossible. You either miss altogether or the shot hits low & on the body - doing little to no damage.
Each and every snake I shot with the shot shell required a follow up with the CB cap to the head.
Not a problem with the non-poisonous ones we have around here, but, I'd hate to have to get that close to an injured copper head or rattle snake.

At the risk of sounding like a PETA nut - why shoot the snake in the first place? Snakes are excellent at keeping vermin in check. Can't you just sidestep the snake and let it live?
If it's close to home or abound you-your family - your dog(s) I can understand that, but out in the wild...
(not preaching mind you - I'm a "kill on sight" person when it comes to spiders - which serve the same role as snakes).

Oops forgot...

Quote:
The .410 sounds nice but only buckshot or slugs are useful.
A relative bought a Snakecharmer and his son shot some birdshot at a target stapled to a sheet of plywood.
He was about 6 feet away and some of the birdshot actually bounced off the plywood and hit him in the face. He was wearing glasses fortunately.
Plywood is really "springey". I've had both .22lr & .38 spl rounds come back at me after hitting a piece of plywood.
It's all about how the plywood is supported from behind, not so much as what you shoot it with.

Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 8 queries