View Single Post
Old January 17, 2019, 02:29 AM   #94
Metal god

Quote:
1. Raise the press ram to it's highest positon without camming over" It goes on to say set the die on the top of the shell holder.
That right there is very interesting . It would be hard but not impossible to hold the handle/ram just short of cam over while adjusting the die . Maybe make some sort of temporary stop on the press while adjusting the die ?? It's also interesting if that also means they want the die and shell holder to make contact before cam over to ensure during cam over you put that extra load on the press/linkage . Things that make you go hmm

EDIT : here is Hornady's instructions on adjusting the sizing die in there single stage press

https://press.hornady.com/assets/pct...structions.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady in link above
Insert and adjust the sizing die.
Take note, these presses slightly cam over to allow you to exert maximum pressure with reduced effort. Screw die down until it is firmly against the shell holder. The sizing die must be set when the ram is at the top of the stroke and not after the ram has cammed over.
Which makes me think they do want that extra load on the press when camming over . Sounds to me they want you to cam over with pressure/load on the die and shell holder . Sounds like the design is to allow maximum load with out needing to stand on the arm . It seems to me it's basically saying the same point I was trying to make earlier . The cam over design allows you to get a consistent leverage/pressure each stroke regardless of case size or type or who is operating the press , there body type , strength or feel for the process . A light cam over is going to produce the same result regardless of who is using the press .

Which would make sense really needing consistency with all the different cartridges being reloaded and all the different types of people using the product . It would be smart to build into the design something that takes the human element out of the equation.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 17, 2019 at 02:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.03384 seconds with 8 queries