View Single Post
Old January 16, 2019, 11:17 AM   #84
F. Guffey

Quote:
I guess some will adding to much and some not enough , not enough and seeing light between shellholder and die with the case sized in the die will show not enough slop is removed . It's when to much is set up .
I do not guess; and I do not measure light. When the ram is raised and the die is adjusted an additional 1/4 turn after contact the press is adjusted to return the case to minimum length or as 'we say full length size the case. The gap indicates the die did not make it to the shell holder even though the die was adjusted to eliminated the gap when the ram was raised. The lack of curiosity on the reloaders part is not enough to cause the reloader to wonder why the shell holder never made it to the bottom of the die.

One term absent from the reloaders vocabulary is "the case's ability to resist sizing". If there is a gap the press, die and shell holder with lube failed to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing. I could ask; SO! "What is a reloader to do when the case has too much resistance to sizing?" there is a cute little saying by reloaders claiming they anneal their cases after sizing 'every time!' And then they claim they 'do it' because of accuracy and precision. And then there is the one that claims 'we' should do like bench resters, he claims bench resters full length size their cases after every firing. And then he claims bench resters have been doing it for decades. And then? He goes on to say they insist on loose necks; straight away, I want all the bullet hold I can get. If only there was a method and or technique to measure bullet hold in pounds: Wait! There is and has always been a method for measuring bullet hold; problem, bullet hold can only be measured in pounds but now the bullet seater uses a gage that measure in pounds as in hydraulic pressure, the old way used and still does use springs. And there is no conversion from pounds to tensions. again I have tension gages with no method to convert to tensions.

To increase the presses ability to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing the die must be lowered or the case must be raised. To raise the case to increases the presses ability to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing I have shimmed the case up by placing shims between the deck of the shell holder and the bottom of the die.

And then there is a benefit to the shim between the deck of the shell holder and case head a reloader that believes he needs a small base die can use the shim when trying to determine if a small base die is necessary and there is nire.

Reloaders have thought all problems are solved by grinding the top of the shell holder or bottom of the die. I have never found that to be true even though I am one of the few reloaders that own three grinders that are used to grind pilots, angles and gages to length. It is not necessary to grind the base of the die if the reloader understand the concept of shimming the case up and off the deck of the shell holder, When sizing cases for short chambers as in being shorter than minimum length the reloader can shorten the case from the shoulder of the case to the case head when using RCBS shell holders.

For the 8th time a reloader can shorten the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head .010" with a shim. A reloader can increase the length of the case .010, by placing shims between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder.

Again, I have one set of Redding Competition shell holders, I paid $5.00 for the set, 3 of the shell holders are off by .001" each, to accomplish the same task with feeler gage I can size a case to 20 different length from the shoulder of the case to the case head all of that without the expensive Redding shell holders or grinding the die and or shell holder.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03049 seconds with 8 queries