View Single Post
Old June 23, 2018, 02:36 PM   #16
fastbolt

Well, without getting mired down in some of the typical inanities of how some people won't ever go ANYWHERE, or do ANYTHING without having a gun within reach ...

I have given some thought to having the ability to address problems arising from something having to be cut while being in the surf.

This is especially important to me when taking one of my granddaughters to the beach for some fun frolicking in the surf line, wandering among the tide pools, clambering over the mild rock formations, etc. Simply put, I've always felt that being able to have a sharp blade at hand was a practical benefit. Handy tool, at times. (Being an enthusiast when it comes to collecting knives helps, too.)

My choice was to order one of the Spyderco Salt series. I chose a 3" regular edged Salt I. It can clip to one of the pockets of my beach trunks and I don't have to worry about the corrosive effects of salt water. In retrospect, I wish I'd ordered the fully serrated version, for the more aggressive cutting ability of a serrated edge, but I can correct that sometime by adding one of those.

Now, a couple other thoughts ...

Because of my pursuit of various martial arts over the years, various objects and tools can always be employed in a defense manner.

Now that I'm no longer required to go to places where known or suspected dangerous conditions might exist, I can use my own judgment to decide where I go to engage in my retirement activities. That includes where I take a granddaughter. The beaches where I take her for her sand and surf fun have been carefully considered, and my long instilled professional radar for troublesome people and dangerous conditions hasn't exactly rusted away, yet.

Last edited by fastbolt; June 23, 2018 at 02:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries