View Single Post
Old April 21, 2001, 01:38 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My earlier example supposed equal skills between swordsman and pistolero. In such a case, moving two to three feet of steel out from its scabbard takes longer than moving six inches of pistol from its holster. I agree that a master swordsman might well beat Joe Sixpack the occasional toter, but that's a whole different deal, and not really germane to the discussion.

Spectre's example of a strike with the butt is well taken, but it assumes a lack of reflex and mobility on the part of the opponent.

As to speed: 20 years ago (when my shoulders functioned much better) upon a buzzer-signal, I regularly could draw, assume the Weaver stance and hit a target at ten yards in 0.9 to 1.0 seconds. Drop 0.2 seconds if I initated the action instead of a buzzer response. At five yards, I could hit while shooting from the hip, saving some tenths of a second.

I was never better than a Class C shooter.

After 1981/1982, I did more practice in drawing and firing while walking or running at different angles to various targets. I also tried drawing and firing while "falling"--going quickly to the ground without bruising my precious body. I don't think it's bragging to say that I got pretty good at hits from awkward postitions. Anybody can do it; it just takes practice. I conclude that if Spectre's butt-strike fails, shame on him.

One thing for sure, whether swords or pistols: Whoever makes the first move, wins.

, Art

Page generated in 0.02474 seconds with 8 queries