View Single Post
Old April 19, 2010, 11:09 AM   #53
LordTio3

My training is simple necessity...

The nearest range to my location is over an hour away. And when I do get to make it out there, there are special rules.

1. No guns in holsters. Ever.
2. No kneeling, sitting, or prone shooting.
3. No rapid fire.
4. No fun at all, ever.

If you don't want to drive 2 hours away and pay 3 times as much for a range session, you have to play by their rules. So when I make it out there, I use what time I have to practice what will give me the best benefit in the least time.
I am not a LEO or ex-military, but I do carry every single day. In my civilian life, statistics show that if I am in a SD/shooting scenario, it will most likely be within 21 feet, most often much closer. So I begin my range sessions like this.

1. 3 yard double taps from low-ready.
2. 5 yard double taps and failure-to-stop from low-ready
3. 7 yard semi-rapid fire for COM.
4. 10-15 yd target shooting for accuracy and "fine-tuning" my grip, trigger control, breathing, etc...
5. 5 yard double taps and failure-to-stop from low-ready.

I run my 5 yard drills twice because that's what I anticipate my probable zone of conflict to include in the scenario that is "most likely" for me. YMMV. You should always practice most at what you anticipate you will encounter; then push yourself a good bit further for fine-tuning and the "just-in-case" reasoning.

Works for me, and I get to get my practice in. I don't have nearly enough trigger time to be competant out to 30-50 yards with my pistol. I'm humble enough admit I'd be more of a liability at that range putting lead where it shouldn't go, if only by a few inches. For me, at that range, it's time to retreat. If I can't, I'm moving in for a better shot. Moreover, if I can do it, I'm going for my rifle. I'm a much better shot with it at that range anyway.

~LT

Page generated in 0.02638 seconds with 8 queries