Thread: Remington ML ID
View Single Post
Old July 4, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Huntzalittle

Thanks Jim

The name is stamped, so maybe the maker, huh?
The story my dad tells is that our family moved to Michigan from Pa because land was given to my something, something grandfather for his particaipation in the Civil War. When they moved to Michigan the land had to be cleared for farming.
Now Dad says that they were clearing and pileing the trees and rabbits would take up residence in the brush piles, so they would have this rifle around for a way to get a bunny burger. (fast food at its finest)
Anyway, in the winters they would set the brush piles on fire to clear the land and this rifle was left up against a pile and forgotton about until the fire was going good. So the only thing salvaged was the barrel.
If any of that is true, then the gun was probably purchased after they settled in Michigan, can't see it coming from Pa.
If I had an idea of what it may have looked like or what the stock was like, I might try buying something similar to make a "wall hanger" out of it. I think if I improved it, maybe some of my kids would take an interest in it and hang on to it.
If this guy was the owner, he was apparently a tough old bird. He was wounded 5 times and came out of the conflict a Captain. Dad still has his mustering out papers.
Would be interesting to know when the gun was made to fit into this story.

Page generated in 0.02806 seconds with 8 queries