View Single Post
Old January 1, 2019, 02:11 PM   #27
UltralightBob

Thank you all for your insightful comments. A couple things I would like to clarify:

The TKO and KPS scoring systems are merely a means of quantifying the "stopping power" of a particular bullet so that it can be compared with other options. I am all about the math... and yes, I agree, I am WAY over thinking it, but hey, that is part of the FUN. At the end of the day, (as it has been said) the actual likelihood of needing to use the weapon in an animal attack is low, and any of the mentioned options would likely be effective.

My appeal here is merely academic. I am trying to find the ultimate compromise of functionality, lightweight, reliability, and stopping power. I am into the whole "ultralight backpacking" and ultralight hunting scene, and spend a lot of dough trying to shave ounces off of my gear. This is NOT a hobby for everyone, and most would argue I would be far better off losing a pound off of my waistline than to try to shave an ounce off of my pack weight. They are 100% correct, except that I choose to do both... and I enjoy the challenge of trying to find the ultimate compromises in gear choices. And that is the key... every thing is a compromise! I could achieve "super ultralight" weights by simply leaving a lot of gear at home... but I find that the utility of some gear outweighs the actual "weight" penalty I get for taking it. For example, these past several years, I have been hauling the 6 ounces of "Garmin InReach" a satellite communication device that lets me text two ways, even when I don't have a cell signal. Many outdoors folks would be more than comfortable entering the backcountry without such a device in their pocket... and honestly I would too... were it not for ONE major influence: I have a wife and kids back home, and it makes HER feel better that I have the device with me. In fact, she "lets" me go (lets be honest here... happy wife, happy life is my motto) on excursions now into some really remote country, that she really had a problem with me going to before I had the InReach. So if I want to shave 6 ounces off of my gear weight, I cant just leave the InReach at home... that is not an option (for me). HOWEVER, for Christmas... I just got myself the new(ish) Garmin InReach MINI, which only weighs 3oz!!! So, I get all the benefit of having the ability to communicate with my wife when I go into the backwoods, but I also get to shave 3oz off of my gear weight! Win Win (even though it cost $300).

So, I only use that example to illustrate what I am going for here. I get it that my approach may seem odd, or even ridiculous, but I am looking for the ultimate compromise of weight vs utility. As I mentioned in my first post, if you are interested in engaging in this debate, I am looking for pistol options that (when fully loaded, with at least 10-12 rounds to spare) are under 32-34 ounces. So, this precludes many offered options (which albeit may be excellent backwoods carry options... like shotguns, large frame revolvers, etc).

Thank you again for your input

Page generated in 0.03652 seconds with 8 queries