View Single Post
Old January 14, 2019, 01:20 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

Doc, if you can do it at your range, I recommend filling up some plastic bottles or milk jugs with water. Besides the fun of instant target gratification, it offers tangible feedback. It fills in the other side of the story for that recoil she is feeling in her hands. It helps to build an intuitive understanding of what's going on and that can be surprisingly valuable.

TruthTellers, you are right about some of those choices versus their expansion thresholds. To say "you really need an expanding bullet to make it effective for self defense" is questionable though. Any of these choices will register pain, shock, and realization stops in a defensive encounter. The average 98-grain .32 S&W Long can still stop an attack by physical incapacitation or death so long as it gets enough penetration into a critical area. It just means smaller margins.

Personally, .32 S&W Long would not be my first choice for self defense. I think a good .32 H&R Magnum with reliable expansion would be adequate. Any of the defensive offerings in .327 that fall within the shooter's comfort zone would be ideal.

Page generated in 0.03641 seconds with 8 queries