View Single Post
Old January 8, 2013, 11:48 PM   #66
Departed402

My Story... with smilies!

I had been trying to get a DPMS Recon 308 since September of '12. I had a local FFL place orders for it through 3 or 4 of his suppliers. I was quoted a price of $1,275 (tax and fees included) which would be a price worth waiting for!

However, by December (before Newtown) I was getting tired of waiting. I found a listing for one on Gun Broker late one night at a gun store about 75 miles away priced at $1,350. I called the gun store only to be told they sold it about a half hour earlier.

My father told me the Cabela's nearest to us had some for sale. On the Tuesday before the Newtown shooting I called the Cabela's. A nice employee told me that they had 3 in stock! I had the woman put one on hold for me, and said I would be there to pick it Saturday.

Friday the Newtown shooting took place.

On Saturday when I went up to purchase my 308 Recon Cabela's was a mad house! I took a number and waited, and waited, and waited. My number was finally called. I told the man my rifle was on hold, and he disappears into the back. After 5 minutes he returns empty-handed, and asks, "Is it on hold or lay-away?" "Hold," I say. He disappears again, but returns with my gun this time. The other two 308 Recons were long gone, and the guy behind the counter told me if I hadn't reserved my 308 Recon it would have surely been gone too. AR-15s were flying off the shelf. PMAGs were flying off the shelf. 5.56 and .223 ammo was flying off the shelf. The only ARs in 308 they had left were DPMS Sporticals (cheap-o's). I paid $1,499 for my DPMS 308 Recon, but with the events the day before and the media already talking gun control I was happy to be getting it for under list price. The following day I got onto Bass Pro's website and used a couple gift cards to buy some .308 PMAGs, and all I paid was the shipping.

I have since seen other 308 Recons go for $2,675 on Gun Broker, and I can only assume the last one I was watching was grabbed for the buy-it-now price of $3,000

Ain't she a beaut'?

Page generated in 0.03890 seconds with 8 queries