View Single Post
Old May 21, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5324
FlyFish

Quote:
I inherited a S&W .357 magnum from my grandfather a few years ago. He had the gun for over 40 years that I know. I cannot find a model number but I find 2 different numbers on the inside of the cylinder opens.

S 164440
Not too much info to go on, but in this case I think it's enough. First, the serial number of the gun is S164440 - any other numbers are called "assembly numbers" and are used to track fitted parts during manufacture but have no further significance. The "S" series of serial numbers was used only for N-frame revolvers from 1946 to 1970.

Your number would date the gun to the 1956-57 period, and there were only two N-frame .357s being manufactured at that time: the .357 Magnum Model of 1950 and the Highway Patrolman. These became the Model 27 and Model 28, respectively, when S&W started using model numbers in 1957. They're essentially the same gun with different finishes. The pre-Model 27 was the fancier of the two, with a highly polished finish and fancy checkering on the topstrap; the pre-Model 28 had more of a satin finish and lacked the checkering.

So, putting all that together, you've got a pre-27 or pre-28 from 1956 or perhaps early 1957. It should be straightforward to determine which, and either way it's a real desirable piece if in good condition.

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries