View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1
eskinny

.458 WM made by Harold E. MacFarland

Hello all,
I recently purchased a .458 WM from an older gentleman who has sold off his 60+ year collection. This rifle is built on a Mauser 98 action and is beautiful, it was made by Harold E. MacFarland, I do not know when or where. It was made for an individual (who I will not name unless I can get his permission), I have been unable to find any date on the rifle. It has a commercial long side rail scope mount made in Jenkinstown, PA by Paul Jaeger (the first one I have seen). The wood and engraving appear to be first rate. I have googled and have only been able to find out that Harold E. MacFarland wrote a couple of classic gun smithing books, one he co-authored with Bob Brownell. The books are Gunsmithing Simplified, and An Introduction to Modern Gunsmithing. I have ordered both of these books from Amazon and should have them soon. I am seeking any and all information about this rifle, the maker and the scope mount. I appreciate any light that can be shed on these subjects. I would love to know when it was made and if there are any others like it. I am most interested in the maker I have been searching the web for several days now and have only found scattered information about him. I posted similar to this another forum with no luck, and hope that by posting here I can pull from a larger mass of collective consciousness with better results. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4581.jpg (25.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 4582.jpg (26.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 4583.jpg (30.1 KB, 111 views)

Page generated in 0.04427 seconds with 9 queries