View Single Post
Old December 23, 2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Slamfire

For years I used a Ruger 10/22 to squirrel hunt. I installed a Volquartsen barrel and the sucker is now as accurate as a target 22 LR. Not that target grade accuracy really improved my hit probability. The problem I had was my hold.

A standard 10/22 will do out to 25 yards, which is a long way in the woods with all the leaves hiding the squirrels.

The longest shot I ever had was 50 yards, and that with a Stevens M416. The squirrel was in the top of the tallest tree in the woods and I was able to find a gap and see him. That is unusual.

I did a bunch of testing in my ruger 10/22 barrel and found some real ammunition preferences. Accuracy with stingers and hyper velocity ammunition was just awful. The best in my barrel was Federal copper coated. There was no difference in on target groups between Federal and Eley, which shows that I hit the barrel limit.

The Volquartsen barrel, Eley gave dime sized groups at 25 yards while Federals were much larger. Barrels make a difference.

I prefered quiet ammunition. I prefered solid nose. Hollowpoint LR's would damage the squirrel more, ruining meat, but did not seem to kill them any better.

Page generated in 0.01963 seconds with 8 queries