View Single Post
Old March 17, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
dakota.potts

Beginner questions

I've only been shooting for a short time but in that time I've come to think that I would enjoy shooting in 3 Gun competitions.

My first question is, what type of competitions should I be researching and looking for? All the abbreviations can be confusing at times and I'm having a hard time deciphering what's what.

As for what I would begin shooting with, I'm looking at a CZ 75 with a doublestack magazine and a typical Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for the shotgun. However, what's really going to hurt getting into it is going to be the rifle. Is there a decent semi automatic rifle that can compete at lower pricesthan the AR-15? For instance, what about an SKS modified for 30 round magazines (or simply an AK)? I've been told there are limitations with the 7.62 round that make it even harder than the 5.56 to reach out to the 400 yard shots. Are these common and necessary to worry about? Would a 5.45 round be more effective or even allowed?

Finally, what should I be practicing for these events in the meantime as I piece together equipment? I don't think I will be able to practice moving and firing or things like that but I may be able to practice on moving targets as well as standard firing and reloading.

Thanks in advance!

Page generated in 0.03719 seconds with 8 queries