View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Henry O

Markings on Gun

The full serial number is 19177. It is on the butt of the gun in larger letters, very small letters on the cylinder face, and in a flat spot right below the leading edge of the ejector rod latch.

The left side of the barrel has an emblem and then the words: 38 S. & W. Special CTG. The right side of the gun body between the hammer and trigger has about a 3/4 inch circle logo with the words "Trade Mark" outside the circle.

You are correct, there is a manufacturer's number which does not match the two serials numbers that I found. That one looks like 791** and I cannot make out those last two numbers. It is located on the frame, on the side of the gun, just below where the ejector rod latches. The piece between the hinge and the ejector rod effectively closes that number inside.

The other serial number matches the one on the butt of the gun when the grips are removed. The ejector rod appears to be free standing. I don't see any type of latch on it. When the cylinder is open, the ejector rod moves freely.

Have determined the plastic grips are after market but old. Hope this is useful. Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by Henry O; February 23, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Add location of serial numbers

Page generated in 0.03219 seconds with 8 queries