Thread: 308 Win for Elk
View Single Post
Old April 1, 2010, 03:21 PM   #33
Christchild

Quote:
Stalking to 200 yards and using a 150 TSX as fast as I could push it would make me happier.
Roger on'nat!

.308 Win. and a 180 gr. bullet will surely take an Elk, even at 300, but I wouldn't want to try that shot unless I thoroughly knew the trajectory and was a little on the hungry-side. But 1, You don't need 180 grains of bullet to kill an Elk, and 2, .308 Win. is not the best .30 caliber cartridge to toss a bullet that heavy...180 gr. should be kept to 30-06 or more. Accuracy will likely suffer.

In regards to the question of, "Standard or premium, factory or handload"...I prefer premium handloads, hands down. Not all bullets perform the same, even more so when velocities are thrown into the equation. A standard copper jacket/lead core bullet, say Interlock RN, won't necessarily expand the same as a bonded bullet of the same brand/weight/style/caliber, out of the same cartridge, loaded to the same velocity. The bonding process uses heat which anneals the entire bullet, softening it...

I'm a .270 Win. Fan. A 110 gr. Nosler Accubond will NOT expand the same nor (in general terms) retain the same percentage of weight as the 110 gr. TTSX, at the same velocity or not. Nor will a 110 gr. Hornady SP perform the same as the 110 gr. TTSX, at any velocity. Yes, dead is dead, but the advancements in bullet "technology" are more than marketing, it's the search for a better bullet...and for many'a good reason. Accuracy, proficiency and ethics are #1 because shot placement is "king", but bullet performance plays a vital role in a humane harvest.

I'd say use the 180's if that's all You have, but I'd look for something more suited to all the details of the task.

Page generated in 0.02658 seconds with 8 queries