View Single Post
Old April 14, 2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Jofaba

Well, it is political isn't it? It's politics that is threatening our 2nd amendment right, or at least threatening to threaten it. Was it the opening sentence about Democrats and liberals? I'm registered as a Democrat, voted for Obama, and have some pretty liberal viewpoints. It wasn't meant to be a slam against them, it's just those are the people pushing this legislation.

Quote:
I piped up and openly griped about this by starting a thread of my own about the same subject. It didn't go over all that great. I was surprised to see quite a few apathetic responses.
I don't accept apathy as an acceptable response. I see this apparent "back burner"-ing of the issue as an opportunity that we cannot pass up.

Quote:
What regulations do you support?
I am open to debating it, and what I support I would call "a work in progress". My opinions are already being (positively) shaped by having some engaging conversations here, as this forum is the first time I've had access to people with completely opposing viewpoints that actively engaged in friendly conversation and I love it.

That said, I think that you should either have to pass a basic safety class to own a firearm, OR should have been taught safety by a family member. A simple "yes, I taught him and hes safe" style letter, handwritten if you want, signed in witness of a licensed official and that would sit in place of whatever certificate of safety course completion that would otherwise be required.

I don't understand why some states have open carry free of legislation but those same states make you jump through hoops and pay high fees to conceal carry.

For states that require a class, such as Maine, to apply for a CCP, that class should actually teach you something, and not simply meet requirements. My class left quite a bit to be desired, and I still know pretty much nothing about some pretty important issues. I plan on taking a two day 10 hour long course which includes live fire at my gun range. The class I took was two hours long and mostly consisted of a guided tour of filling out paperwork.

Quote:
I disagree. States should not be told what to do in this sense. The states should set the laws within reason without federal interference. There are exceptions, but to make a sweeping change like this all at once and to make all 50 states abide by this isn't right, IMO.
Just like I see the thinking behind anti-nationalized medicine (and have been swayed), I see your point. There should be a different approach, perhaps, but I don't think that to carry throughout the USA should cost you thousands of dollars a year (don't know the actual amount, but it's not even possible anyway I don't think, as Maine appears to be residential only, so if you're not a resident, I do not think you can carry here). And I don't think that a place like a Mall has a right to ban your right to carry if you are capable of doing so safely. I don't like the fact that an uninformed store owner can say that I can't go into their store. I respect their right to be anti-gun, but my idea of a federal concealed carry permit would put you up there with law enforcement in that regard, that you are above-and-beyond qualified.

Page generated in 0.03111 seconds with 8 queries