View Single Post
Old April 13, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Trigger boosting and pretravel

1. I have a bit a creep, it was always there, but lately, either I have become more sensitive to it (or like an idiot, rested the sear nose just past half cock and dropped the hammer roughing the edge of the sear). I'm going to do a disassembly and inspect hammer hooks and sear engagement surfaces for damage and polish up the disconnector. If all looks well, since I do not own a sear tool kit to stone the sear and make it nice nice, I was going to try boosting the trigger. I'll go easy - I was wondering if this really works, as I never heard of this before. Do you pull the trigger while pushing up on the hammer, or push, release, then fire?

2. Also, I took out all the pretravel I could without disabling my half cock safety notch. If I take out anymore, my half cock probably won't work. I believe I have .025" clearance before the trigger bow will contact the sear. I will measure again, but, still feels like a lot of pretravel compared to those Kimbers that have none. Is it possible that some guns just need a certain amount of pretravel while others don't? How do kimbers get away with no pretravel, is it the cut of the hammer hooks?

3. Lastly, the tabs on the trigger - when bending those for pretravel adjustment, if you don't bend one as far as the other, will this have any effect? I know we are adjusting both visually, but if they are not bent evenly, will that cause the trigger to have side to side play?

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries